Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Home Depot, by appointment only

So last night I dragged my poor husband once again into Home Depot.  This time we were there to get something done, a quote on cabinets for the laundry room.  We wanted to get an idea of price and quality of one of their basic lines of cabinets and compare them to the Ikea cabinets we've found.  After watching a designer help another couple for awhile, we thought we were being obvious that we needed a little help.  This designer even stood right next to me showing the other couple some options.  Still not a nod of I'll be with you soon or anything.

Finally another employee asked if we needed help, I explained why we were there and he basically told me he couldn't help us and the designer with the couple was going to be at least 2 hours with them and then she had another appointment.  Ok, I sort of understand the appointment thing, but when I talked to one of the other designers a month ago, maybe he could have passed on this little bit of valuable information.  We were asked if we would like to make an appointment and I really just wanted to leave, some how I ended up with a 9:00am appointment today.  After all this hard renovation work, we rewarded ourselves with dinner from the WAB (half off all food on Mondays nights).

I arrived bright eyed and bushy tailed at Home Depot at a little before 9:00am.  I have to confess, I wasn't thrilled to drag my butt out of bed early on my day off and I neglected to properly medicate myself with some caffeine, but still, I was there.  I walked back to the kitchen area to find my "designer."  As I found him approaching the area I started with a cheery "Good Morning," which I personally wasn't feeling, but mustered it up anyway.  I got a quiet hello back and then I had to announce that I had an appointment with him this morning.  He didn't seem to know that someone had sneaked in an early appointment with him this morning and didn't seem to appreciate the gesture.  Still, trying to keep my head up I sat down and started to explain what I was looking for, as I was quickly cut off to have information demanded from me.  Some of which I had and some I had to call my husband for.  I apologized and explained I needed to call my husband for more information and glad that I did.  See, if it wasn't for the fact that my husband could hear grumpy pants barking questions at me, I might have just thought that I was clearly unprepared and unworthy of laundry room cabinet information.

We tried to continue, I was determined to find the nice old guy that I knew was in there somewhere.  He had a picture of him and his granddaughter on his wall, so I know he must have some niceness somewhere or small children would run from this man.  I gave him all the info I had, and in the end he gave me a quote for cabinets that were more than I would be willing to spend. Especially knowing that I would be working with this man.  Just an FYI, cabinets with glass in the door are wicked expensive!  As we ended our little lovefest, he handed me a quote, tried to talk me into just purchasing the cheapest cabinets they keep in stock, explained that I was basically screwed on the space left for the sink and told me he wouldn't be calling me.  In fact, he would be deleting the whole thing out of the system.  I'm sure it was so it didn't count against him when I didn't end up purchasing the cabinets, but really I think we both knew that I wasn't coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment